- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small bag of frozen baby peas
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- 3 cups of water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbs Crème Fraîche stirred together with salt to taste (for garnish)
- Heat oil in medium sized pot on medium heat.
- Sauté scallions, seasoning with salt and pepper, stirring often for several minutes.
- Add peas, mint, water, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, or until peas are cooked but till bright green.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer mixture to a blender. Blend carefully, allowing steam to escape, stirring and scraping blender container as necessary.
- Continue to blend until all ingredients are well pureed. Add some additional water if necessary to thin the soup.
- Taste for seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or allow cool, refrigerating and serving the next day.
- Garnish each serving of soup with a dollop of Crème Fraîche.
Note: Be extra careful when blending hot ingredients in a blender to allow some hot air to escape while blending ingredients, by slightly moving lid to a side position or removing the center plastic part of the lid and covering with a towel so the ingredients don’t splatter. Neglecting this step can cause a hot explosion.
photo by Kristi Senat