Traditionally Sicilian, this dish is earthy with greens and a perfect balance of sweet and savory, I love it warm or at room temperature as part of an Italian style buffet
- 2- 10 oz packages fresh spinach or 4 bunches fresh leaf spinach
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup raisins, plumped in hot water for 10 minutes
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Salt & fresh pepper to taste
- Wash spinach thoroughly in several changes of water, drain well
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add garlic and saute for several minutes, until slightly golden. Do not brown garlic as it will be bitter!
- Add spinach, raisins, salt & pepper and saute until spinach is wilted. Add pine nuts, toss and taste for seasoning adding additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve immediately or may be served at room temperature.