- 2TBS + 1 Tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, peeled, trimmed and halved
- 8 Large plum tomatoes, trimmed and halved
- 1 Fennel Bulb, trimmed and cut into quarters, reserving the dark green leafy fronds, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, trimmed and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 400°F
- Toss tomatoes, fennel and shallot with 2 TBS of oil and spread onto a non-stick sheet pan. Place tomatoes cut side up. Season liberally with salt and black pepper.
- Place pan in hot oven and cook for about 30 minutes, until vegetables start to sizzle and caramelize, looking browned. Remove pan from oven.
- While vegetables are cooking in the oven, heat remaining oil in a stock pot on medium heat. Sauté carrots sprinkled with 2 TBS of the reserved fennel fronds, stirring often for about 5 minutes until wilted and softened.
- Add the contents of the sheet pan, including all of the accumulated juices to the pot with the carrots. Add 4 cups of water, salt and pepper to taste to the pot.
- Simmer the pot on medium for 10 minutes, stirring often and taste for seasoning.
- Transfer contents of pot to a blender, carefully. You may have to do this in 2 or 3 batches; blend all ingredients very well and transfer mixture to a clean pot.
- Re-heat and serve immediately or allow to cool, refrigerating and serving the next day reheated.
Note: Be extra careful when blending hot ingredients in a blender to allow some hot air to escape while blending ingredients, by slightly moving lid to a side position or removing the center plastic part of the lid and covering with a towel so the ingredients don’t splatter. Neglecting this step can cause a hot explosion.